Diet Tip: Your pants won’t get too tight …if you don’t wear any!
There are certain dishes that just get me warm and fuzzy! I think my problem is that I eat my feelings… if I’m happy- I want to eat, if I’m sad- I want to eat, if I’m not sure of how I’m feeling- I want to eat… FOOD is the answer and I don’t care what the question is!!! Thats probably why the seams of my jeans are actively revolting against my Kenyan Hips! and all this time I’ve been planning a stakeout to find out whose been secretly shrinking my jeans!! As I was saying… there are certain dishes that just give me flashbacks to happy times during my childhood, and with family, and this is one such dish.
I made it recently and my husbands friend… it feels weird to say husband, coz he’s boogy, booboo, bambam, buzzy, cookie, babe … he even goes by his given name when he infuriates me! But calling him husband just sounds funny… so for this post I will try out a new pet name for size… lets go with Lover! So my lovers friend came over and he’s never had tripes a.k.a matumbo before, so my husband was giving him ‘How to’ instructions for eating matumbo, and I heard him say:
“The secret is to eat them really fast before the go cold, because then they become fatty… to which his friend responded
“Do you mean to say they aren’t fatty when hot, only when they are cold?!’
hahahahahahaha! My philosophy in life mimics my lovers advice to eating matumbo – if you can’t see it its not there!!!
It’s a pretty straightforward recipe ⇓⇓ ⇓⇓
- 1kg Tripes
- 1 large onion
- 1Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 Knor cubes
- 1Tbsp Royco
- Pre-boil the tripes, preferably in a pressure cooker, boil till they’re tender.
- Dice the onions & Tomatoes. Sauté the onions and once they are softened crumble the chilli cubes into the pot and stir, add the tomatoes and cover the pot to let them cook, you may need to add a teaspoon or two of water.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the Royco and Stir then pour in the soy sauce + 1/2 a cup of water then add the previously boiled tripes, let it simmer until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then as my lover once said, it’s best to eat them quickly… unless you don’t mind making trips to the microwave!
- It’s best to serve them with Kale and Ugali!!