When you’re feeling as emotionally stable as an IKEA table… cooking cauliflower shouldn’t add to your stress levels!
Peeps! I’m a sucker for anything that I can knock out in fifteen minutes or less (nooooo get your minds out of the gutter… that *wink* *wink* THAT activity actually takes sixteen minutes or so… on a good day!!!) and that packs a punch like the Cajun Cauliflower and carrot Stir Fry recipe I’m about to share, because lets be honest unless you have a sous chef 90% of the time who has the energy to spend ages in the kitchen?!
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp butter
- 1 Tsp Cajun Spice mix
- 1tsp salt
- Clean the cauliflower and set it aside to drain on a colander
- Peel your carrots and slice them into cubes
- Cut your cauliflower into similar sized florets
- Heat your wok add the olive oil & Butter to the wok then brown your butter… you’ll know you’ve browned it if it’s … brown … and it releases a nutty aroma. DON’T burn your butter, if you do, wipe off your wok and start over.
- Once the butter is browned, add the salt and cajun spice mix to it. I use the Naturalli cajun Spice from Healthy-U, If you cannot get your hands on it then you can make your own using onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt.
- The heat and browned butter will bring out the flavours of this aromatic spice mix.
- Add your cauliflower florets and the carrot strips into the wok and toss it until everything is coated with the oil. Stir fry it for about six minutes, pop on a lid and let the steam cook the veggies for another four minutes (this depends on the size of the cauliflower and carrot strips, but you want both to be caramelised and crunchy to the bite) unless you are in the paediatric or geriatric category … if you are go ahead and
massacre themturn them mushy!
- Serve and enjoy … My taste tester thoroughly enjoys this, infact when I made this, she expressly asked that her dinner be pasta and this cajun cauliflower & carrot stir fry… I mean I just saw the halo around her head 👼🏼 and totally forgot that I was meant to be mad 🤯 at her since she had just used permanent maker on the living room walls!
I guarantee you that once you’ve tried this dish out you will want to use cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, rice and any joy in your life … and you’ll think to yourself ‘do I really need friends in my life if I have cauliflower?!
I really enjoyed shooting this particular dish, it was in the evening and streaks of light were coming in from the windows and casting a lovely glow over the dish… I know I said I love both dark and light food photography but I have to admit currently I am more drawn to the former.